Diapositive 23 sur 24
- Fate of Huguenots in New-France
- Many of the Huguenots were hiding their religious
origins, it is one of the reasons why it is hard to have
exact figures. Anyway, the clergy and mainly the Jesuits
were trying to detect the Huguenots. When they were sure
they make them abjure publicly their faith. Sometimes
they used a softer way was to have them receive the rites
of Confirmation. So we find many people receiving
confirmation at an adult age.
- We don't have proof that protestants celebration took
place in New-France. So another way to recuperate the
Huguenots was to have them go to the Mass, to get married
at the Catholic church.
- Some Huguenots got fines to have break some regulations
against them, we know that one Huguenot, Daniel Voil, has
been sentence to death for crime of heresy and
witchcraft. Orders have been given to permit dragonade in
New-France, but their no evidence that they took place.
- We saw before that certain regulations against the
Huguenots were in force. One of them was the exclusion
from certain trades. For example a Huguenot can not be a
surgeon or a solicitor.
- Huguenots who refused to abjure in danger of death can
see their possession confiscate if their regain wealth.
Some Huguenots were buried in a field near Hôtel-Dieu of