The first colony (1540-1543)
Jean François de La Rocque sieur de Roberval
- A Huguenot
- General lieutenant of Canada
- Jacques Cartier is the captain of the fleet
- Settlement at Cap-Rouge near Quebec
- He has the right to construct churches and
- The colony will fall from famine, sickness and
the hostility of the Indians
- The first colony (1540-1543)
- In 1540, Jean-François de La Rocque sieur de Roberval
will obtain the title of general-lieutenant of Canada.
Roberval is a Huguenot. The captain of the fleet will be
- It is interesting to note that his commission give him
the right to construct , forts, churches and temples. It
let supposed that both religions can have their
- Roberval will recruit a part of his settlers in the
French jails. The settlement took place at Cap Rouge near
the actual Quebec city.
- Famine, sickness and the hostility of the Indians will
bring an end to the settlement.
- Cartier return to France with what he thinks are gold and
diamonds. It will appear that he as brought back Iron
pyrites and Quartz. The expression False as a
Canadian diamond will spread at the court. The
disappointment is so important that it will take fifty
years to France interested again in Canada.