is the best firewall depends on who you talk to.
ZoneAlarm, highly recommended by
Steve Gibson, is an application based firewall.
Others are ruleset applications and
are for those who prefer an hands-on approach, and have more control.
STEVE GIBSON has tested Firewalls,
for their reliability or "leaks" , with his
GOOD SITE ON SYGATE by
All about SFP 5x. A real good follow up to previous site for this
ONE OF THE BEST FIREWALL ON THE MARKET
in 2 versions:
1.04 LooknStop Lite.
Without application filtering. - FREEWARE
With application filtering.
The official 2.04 is out.
Version 2.04p2 02-10-2003
- new criteria "Equal Or" and
"Different And" for the address IP selection in the internet
filtering rule edition.
new attribute for the
row (Internet Filtering) in order to select on a rule basis if a sound
is played or not
- it is now possible to sort the log items by
clicking the column headers
- Modification in the way Look 'n' Stop handles the
"Windows Ending Session" event (in order to improve/fix the
slowness issue when Windows is being closed).
- under Windows 2000/XP, with some Ethernet cards the
Internet filtering was not working for the downlink.
- when the maximum number of application is reached,
the alert dialog box is now correctly displayed.
- crash in the lnsfw1 driver if the PC contains a lot
of logical drives (>16)
- GDI (Graphic Display Interface) memory leak when
displaying the application icons in the Application Filtering page
- in very rare circumstances, application could crash
when resolving an IP name
- correct display of the attribute icons in Internet
and Application filtering page when the password is enabled or when the
Windows system colors are changed
Version 2.04 11-24-2002
- TCP Stateful Packet inspection and dialog box with
the TCP connection states.
- Internet Filtering rules enabled with application
detected through the Application Filtering.
- Application Filtering: addition of a new attribute
to allow or not applications that start another one which connects to
- Automatic Selection of the network adapter in the
- Option to confirm when clicking the
- Option to lock all the buttons in the Log page when
the password mode is enabled
- Win2000/XP, Application Filtering: "Raw
Socket" connection supported.
- In raw logs, application name and application path
have been added.
- In logs (application and files) a new type has been
added to differentiate application connecting from application starting
- Win2000/XP: during the driver installation the
command dialog box (DOS Like) no longer appears and an error dialog box
is displayed in case of problem.
- Under Windows XP, Fast User Switching handling to
prevent some problems.
- The "Create Rule" in the Log page was not
disabled when the password mode was enabled
- the operation to save the ruleset no longer takes a
long time under Windows 2000 and XP.
- Ruleset files can now be larger than 64 KB.
- Sometimes the Apply button in the Options page was
not greyed just after Look 'n' Stop is started.
the new version 2.05 beta 01 is out.
The Web site has been updated. Here are the direct link for downloading:
Here are the links for download:
- English release: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/En/2.05b1/LooknStop_Setup_205b1.exe
- French release: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Fr/2.05b1/Installation_LooknStop_205b1.exe
To install this new version over an existing one, no need to uninstall first
the current one, just run the setup and anwser Yes to the question.
Here the content of this version (quite the same as the preview):
- DLL Filtering (Windows 2000-XP only)
- Port & IP selection for the Application Filtering
- Plug-in interface for localization, rule creation and log analysis by
third party applications.
- Detection of troyans that are using DLL injection or DNS request
- Detection of non-standard protocols and drivers under Win2000/XP.
- Signature verification improvements (Windows 2000-XP only).
- New attribute in Application Filtering to have only blocking access in
the log or all access.
- Addition of GB unit for statistic display in the Welcome page (however
there is still the 4 GB limitation)
- All miscellaneous options in one list in the Advanced Options dialog
- In the "U/D #" column addition of a '-' or '+' information
to know if the packet has been blocked or allowed.
- In the Application Filtering, it is now possible to sort the lines by
clicking on the column headers.
- Addition of the 'TCP or UDP' selection to the list of protocols in the
rule edition dialog box
- Automatic log entries removal when reaching a limit (configurable by
- Application filtering: automatic removal of applications which no
About plugins, you will find more information here:
- Under some 2003 Server configuration, the network interface wasn't
- The field "IP to exclude for auto-detection" was sometimes
- The rule names in the log are now correct even if some rule have been
added without applied yet.
- Crash when the maximum number of Internet Filtering rules was reached.
In case of problem, please use the following Web form to report the problem
This version will expire by March, 2003, the official 2.05 or a new beta
will be available before.
To re-install the 2.04 over the 2.05b1, two solutions:
1- uninstall the 2.05b1, reboot, reinstall 2.04, reboot
2- remove lnsfw.vxd/lnsfw1.vxd (Windows 9x/Me) or lnsfw.sys/lnsfw1.sys
(2000/XP) and remove fwapi.dll, then execute the 2.04 setup and reboot
and Stop Questions and answers PAGES
and Stop Screenshots PAGES
One of LNS's great fan ( besides me ) is known as Phantom
It is worth to take a look at at what is now know as Phantom's
ruleset and why he likes
For linux users
Firewall + VPN + Anti Virus + more
This product is an all-in-one software solution, providing firewall,
virus protection, intrusion protection, content filtering and spam
protection. Astaro, offers a free version for home users
a review of firewalls:
installation screenshots for all major firewalls. Must site
How well did you configure your firewall
? Any Ports open ?
Have it checked at :
Blackcode [EXCELLENT]: http://www.blackcode.com/scan/index.php
Broadband Reports.com [EXCELLENT, DO THE SLOW SCAN]: http://www.dslreports.com/scan/
Computer Cops Security Professionals: http://www.computercops.biz/index.php
Security Space.com: http://www.securityspace.com/sspace/index.html
PC Flank Complete Check [EXCELLENT]: http://www.pcflank.com/
PCPitStop Checks/TuneUp: http://pcpitstop.com/
Qualys' Free Browser Checkup: http://browsercheck.qualys.com/
Sygate Online Services [EXCELLENT]: http://scan.sygate.com/
Steve Gibons's ShieldsUP [GRC-Gibson Research Centre]: http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1bi2l2=wzngrojn
TEST YOUR FIREWALL SECURITY
WITH THE FOLLOWING LEAK TESTS: