Current version: Technology Preview 1
If you are not comfortable editing and compiling source code, modifying
system files, or installing a root program, then this is not for you. Of
course, then you wouldn't be running a news server, so this program is
really not for you!
- Download the source.
- Unpack the source and copy it to the news home directory.
- Check the configure me section in the source to see if you
need to make any changes.
- Compile the source with the command
g++ -O -o freshnews freshnews.cc
- Become root for the next two steps
- Edit /etc/inittab adding this line:
- run telinit Q to activate the changes to inittab.
- Important: Stop being root!
Of course, you can do things a little differently from the instructions
above. Here are a few ideas:
- If you've looked at the source online, why bother downloading it again?
Just return to that page (it's still in your cache, right?) and cut'n'paste
to a text file. Please name the file freshnews.cc
- If your copy of leafnode does not use /var/spool/news as it's
home directory, you will have to modify a few things above. You will also
have to modify the source as it explicitly does a chdir to that directory.
I'm sure you can figure that out, I have confidence it you!
- If you turned on debug, you will want to change the line in inittab to
send output somewhere other than the bit-bucket. I suggest
- If you have a very intelligent policy of using sudo or some other
way to administer your system without being root, then I encourage you to
follow those procedures!
If you have problems compiling or running freshnews, first try to fix
the problem yourself.
the home page
first to see if it is a known problem.
If you cannot localize the problem and describe it to me clearly, I cannot
This is a free program, if I choose to help you, it is freely and out of my
own good nature. If I choose not to help you, you have no recourse.
Of course, I am a nice guy, at least I think so, so if you are patient enough
to accept help on my schedule, and you've done everything I think you should
do for yourself, then it is unlikely that I'll refuse to help.