EXPEDITION CANADIAN SUMMIT 2001

(Sitreps to NSMC)

Introduction / 27 Apr - 8 May / 8 - 14 May (Main Group) / 8 - 14 May (Advanced Group) / 15 - 19 May / Sitreps / Metreps / Map

For this expedition, a daily Situation Report (Sitrep) was prepared and transmitted (via Satellite Phone) at 1700 (Yukon local time) back to Ottawa at the National Systems Management Centre (NSMC).

Table of Content:

Saturday – 28 April Wednesday - 9 May
Sunday - 29 April Thursday - 10 May
Monday - 30 April Friday - 11 May
Tuesday - 1 May Saturday - 12 May
Wednesday - 2 May Sunday - 13 May
Thursday - 3 May Monday - 14 May
Friday - 4 May Tuesday - 15 May
Saturday - 5 May Wednesday - 16 May
Sunday - 6 May Thursday - 17 May
Monday - 7 May Friday - 18 May
Tuesday - 8 May

Sitreps:

Saturday - 28 April

A. Current Location N:   E:   Alt(m):   ID: Yakutat
B. Today's Activities Arrived in Location from Seattle.
C. Team Condition Eager to begin the expedition. All well
D. Tomorrow's Activities Climb to Camp 1 from Base camp
E. Additional Remarks Waiting for climbing permit to be faxed in before we can be flown to Base Camp.

Sunday - 29 April

A. Current Location N: 67193202 E: 51499 Alt(m): 3170 ID: Camp 1
B. Today's Activities We were flown into Base Camp. We climbed from Base Camp to Camp #1.
C. Team Condition Most team members experiencing slight AMS (headaches and fatigue)
D. Tomorrow's Activities Carry half load to cache 1.5. If all is well, will decide tomorrows activities based on team condition. If AMS still present, will stay in location.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Monday - 30 April

A. Current Location N: 6719302 E: 51499 Alt(m): 3170 ID: Camp 1
B. Today's Activities Stayed in location. Some team members had minor headaches. Rested and acclimatised.
C. Team Condition Team is in good spirits and are well rested. Suntans are being worked on.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Team plans to carry half their supplies to Cache 1.5
E. Additional Remarks Temp on location last night was -20 degrees.

Tuesday - 1 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Based on a favourable metrep, we decided to carry full load to Camp 2. A snow storm stopped our progress short
C. Team Condition All well. Warming up and drying off from the snow. Maj Sabourin received 1st degree frostbite on his cheeks and is fine.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Wait for storm to pass. Move to Camp 2 possibly.
E. Additional Remarks Weather forecasts are as accurate here as in Ontario.

Wednesday - 2 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Strong winds and blowing snow convinced us to stay in our tents
C. Team Condition Well acclimatised and in good spirits. Pers with frostbite yesterday are fine.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Probably more rest. Forecast calls for more wind + snow.
E. Additional Remarks Wind broke one tent pole. Not repairable until conditions improve. We will be three per tent until other repaired.

Thursday - 3 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Strong winds kept us immobilised again, but at least we repaired the broken tent. We are back to 2 pers per tent, so we can all get some sleep tonight.
C. Team Condition Morale is high again after fixing the tent and improving our camp.
D. Tomorrow's Activities With a bit of luck, as the weather forecast is not favourable, we hope to move to Camp 2.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Friday - 4 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities We followed the advice of the weather forecaster and remained in location. We built a snow barrier to protect our camp better and prepared our gear for a move.
C. Team Condition All well. Eager to move after 4 nights in same location.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Climb to Camp 2 if weather forecast is accurate.
E. Additional Remarks 70kph winds forecasted tonight.

Saturday - 5 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Woke up to minus twenty-three (-23) degrees and clear weather at 04:30 hrs. Decided to move to camp 2 before weather change. We did 1.5 km and gained 350 meters before the weather turned bad and forced a tactical withdrawal.
C. Team Condition All well
D. Tomorrow's Activities Try again…
E. Additional Remarks Windshield factor reached minus fifty degrees (-50) when we decided to turn around.

Sunday - 6 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Successfully carried half load to our cache 400 Metre above location. Now in a better position to reach camp #2 when the weather cleared.
C. Team Condition Moral high after today’s carry.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Wait for a window in the weather to complete move to camp #2.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Monday - 7 May

A. Current Location N: 6719090 E: 0517256 Alt(m): 3371 ID: Camp 1.5
B. Today's Activities Winds and snow precipitation kept us in location. Various repairs made (tents, clothing, stove).
C. Team Condition Physically all well, but the long wait, due to bad weather, is growing tiresome.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Move to Camp 2. Weather forecast looks good.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Tuesday - 8 May

A. Current Location N: 6717204 E: 0521609 Alt(m): 4113 ID: Camp 2
B. Today's Activities Carried full load to Camp 2. Sent two Gazelles to Camp 3 as advance party to make the most of the weather
C. Team Condition All well.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Main body will climb to Camp 3. Advance party will carry half load at Camp 4.
E. Additional Remarks Both groups in radio contact as per SOPs

Wednesday - 9 May

A. Current Location N: 6717204 E: 0521609 Alt(m): 4113 ID: Camp 2
B. Today's Activities Main Group: Carried half load to Camp 3 which is 500 metres above our location. Advanced Group: Recovered from yesterday's climb and will carry half load to camp 4.
C. Team Condition Tired after a full day of climbing.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Carry remainder of gear to Camps 3 and 4 respectively.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Thursday - 10 May

A. Current Location N: 6718020 E: 0523063 Alt(m): 4715 ID: CAMP # 3
B. Today's Activities Main group carried half load to current location and established camp # 3. Advance group full carry to camp # 4 (5200M)
C. Team Condition Tired and wondering where all the oxygen went.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Carry half load to camp # 4 and # 5 respectively.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Friday - 11 May

A. Current Location N: 6718020 E: 0523063 Alt(m): 4715 ID: CAMP 3
B. Today's Activities Main group carried half load to camp 4. Advance group carried half load to cache 4.5.
C. Team Condition One person with altitude headache at camp 3.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Carry remaining gear to camp 4 and 5 respectively.
E. Additional Remarks Chris wishes his beautiful wife Debbie a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Saturday - 12 May

A. Current Location N: 6718020 E: 0523063 Alt(m): 4715 ID: Camp 3
B. Today's Activities Main group remained in camp to acclimatise and dry the sleeping bags. The advance group carried remaining gear to camp 5.
C. Team Condition All well.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Move to camp 4 and camp 6 respectively.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Sunday - 13 May

A. Current Location N: 6718380 E: 0525391 Alt(m): 5200 ID: Camp 4
B. Today's Activities Main group climbed to currant location and established Camp 4. No radio contact with advance party due to terrain.
C. Team Condition Tired with high spirits.
D. Tomorrow's Activities Both teams to meet at Camp 6
E. Additional Remarks All team members wish their wives and mothers a "Happy Mother's Day!"

Monday - 14 May

A. Current Location N: 6718380 E: 0525391 Alt(m): 5200 ID: Camp 4
B. Today's Activities Main group remained in loc for acclimatisation. Advance group descending to Camp 4
C. Team Condition All well. 1 member has begun taking Diamox for acclimatisation
D. Tomorrow's Activities Main group climb to Camp 5
E. Additional Remarks Details on Advance Party attempt to summit to follow tomorrow.

Tuesday - 15 May

A. Current Location N: 6718380 E: 0525391 Alt(m): 5200 ID: Camp 4
B. Today's Activities Main group unable to reach camp 5 due to weather. Adv group tried to assist a group of German climbers with medical difficulties near our location. Unable to reach them due to weather. Park wardens have been informed of their situation and we will report tomorrows progress to them. Park wardens may contact NSMC with info to be forwarded to us.
C. Team Condition All well
D. Tomorrow's Activities Try to assist German climbers to descend if weather permits
E. Additional Remarks Adv group reached summit on 13 may 1400 hrs. All team members are now co-located at camp 4

Wednesday - 16 May

A. Current Location N: 6717204 E: 0521609 Alt(m): 4113 ID: Camp 2
B. Today's Activities German climbers situation was resolved by park warden this morning. Group descended to camp 2.
C. Team Condition All well
D. Tomorrow's Activities Descend to base camp if weather permitting.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Thursday - 17 May

A. Current Location N: 6718492 E: 0510272 Alt(m): 2764 ID: Base Camp
B. Today's Activities Descended from camp #2 to base camp. 4 members flown back to Yakutat. Remaining 2 members will be flown out shortly after this Sitrep.
C. Team Condition All well
D. Tomorrow's Activities Investigating the possibility of advancing flight to return home/work early.
E. Additional Remarks None.

Friday - 18 May

This is the last Sitrep. Arriving to Ottawa tomorrow at 1800 hrs local.

Introduction / 27 Apr - 8 May / 8 - 14 May (Main Group) / 8 - 14 May (Advanced Group) / 15 - 19 May / Sitreps / Metreps / Map