A Little Background Info
Funschool.com is an educational website that caters to children from pre-school age through to grade six. The site's primary purpose is to teach various concepts - mathematics, geography, ecology, science, etc. - through what they refer to as Activities. You can find the site on the world wide web by typing in http://www.funschool.com in the address bar of your browser.
Funschool.com was initially recommended to me by one of my peers. I truly enjoy this site and recommend it for in- class use. Though I am evaluating funschool.com and formulate an opinion as to whether or not this is a good website -this is my personal opinion. I believe we are all entitled to our own opinion and I invite you to make your own final decision about this particular site. As I have mentioned, I enjoyed viewing and revisiting funschool.com and hope you will too.
What I have done in the following section is directly apply the criteria I have developed to the funschool.com website. Under each heading I have written a Yes, No, or Somewhat statement. At the end of the criteria, there is a link to my final conclusion for of the funschool.com website. There I explain my interpretations of the rating scale's results and decide whether or not this is a good educational website that I would choose to use in my classroom.
Applying the Criteria
A. ORIGIN -What is the website's origin?
B. DESIGN -Is the website well designed?
- The organisation providing the site is clearly indicated. Yes
- There is information about the site's authors (About Us, Our Objectives, Modus Operandi, Mission Statement, etc.) Yes
- The site's creators have provided their credentials (if need be). Somewhat
- The site's creators have indicated the source of their materials where it is necessary to do so. No
- There is an address made available for further information and questions concerning the site's information and content. Yes
C. CONTENT -Is the website's content meaningful in terms of its educational value?
- The site's general appearance is appealing to its intended audience (colours, graphics, layout). Yes
- It is easy to navigate through the site -links are clearly marked and self-explanatory making navigation intuitive. Somewhat
- The links appearing on the site work (take the user to a new page). Yes
- Supporting pages have a link back to the site's main page. Yes
- The text on the site is easily readable (font, size, colour scheme). Yes
- The graphics on the site serve a purpose and are not too big. Yes
- The site is not cluttered with advertising -overshadowing its content. Somewhat
- The site is interactive -there is something to DO on the site (game, fill-out forms, chat, newsgroup/message board, etc.). Yes
D. ACCESSIBILITY -Is the website accessible?
- The title of the site is indicative of its content. Somewhat
- The language is developmentally appropriate for its targeted audience. Yes
- The use of text and graphics as links is appropriate to level of understanding of targeted audience. Yes
- The targeted audience has required skills to comprehend content. Yes
- The targeted audience has required skills to navigate with ease through the site. Somewhat
- The site is free of spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, syntax errors, or typos. Yes
- The site promotes equal and just representations of racial, gender, and religious issues. Yes
- The content is informative. Yes
- The site contains a wealth of information and deserves more than one visit. Yes
- The site has links to other websites relevant to the same topic. Yes
E. CURRENCY -Is the website's current?
- The site does not take a long time to load. Somewhat
- The site provides a "help feature" or instructions on its use. Yes
- The site does not require special "plug-ins" or other types of special viewing helpers. If it does, this is clearly indicated. No
- The site does not require usage fees to be paid. Yes
- The site has terms and conditions to its use. Yes
- The site requires a registration or password to access and use it. No
- The site has been recently updated. Somewhat
- The information recently updated is highlighted for the user. Somewhat
- There is a statement pledging to current updates. Yes